Friday, October 12, 2007

Apologies

I find it interesting that the US government can make an apology to the Armenian people about something that happened in 1915, but have not apologized for slavery or the genocide of American Indians. I am not trying to say that what happened to the Armenian people wasn't genocide. I honestly don't have enough information to give an opinion.

What I do know is that this country has acted atrociously to people that were legally citizens of this country or had inhabited this country for hundreds of years. There is still no apology for almost wiping out an entire group of people. There is still no apology for hundreds of years of slavery and ripping people from their homes to bring them for free manual labor. There is no apology for the Jim Crow laws. As John Stewart informed his correspondent last night, casinos and 10 points on your college application is NOT an apology.

When is this country going to face its problems? When are we, the people, going to hold ourselves and our government responsible for our actions?

No comments: